I realize I’m a little slow in getting this list done, but it was every bit as difficult as I imagined. Just when I thought I was done, another album or group would spring to mind that I’d have to revisit. Doing this list had its challenges, but brought back a lot of music that had been long neglected.
For this list, I deviated slightly from Mr. Collins. Rather than constraining myself to one album per artist, I decided to give you my unfiltered top ten so there are actually two artists who make it on my list twice. A note on the Eagles being here twice: if I had included compilation albums, The Very Best of the Eagles would have been here rather than two of their albums.
So without further ado, I present to you my list of top ten albums. Here we go.
Format for listing albums: Artist, Title, Year, Genre, Runtime, Record Label, Producer(s)
TOP 10 ALBUMS
10. ZZ Top, Eliminator, 1983, Hard Rock, 44:28, Warner Bros., Bill Ham
9. Boston, Boston, 1976, Hard Rock, 37:41, Epic, John Boylan and Tom Scholz
8. Ozzy Osbourne, Blizzard of Ozz, 1980, Heavy Metal/Hard Rock, 39:31, Jet, Ozzy Osbourne, Randy Rhoads, Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake
7. Eagles, Hotel California, 1976, Rock, 43:28, Asylum, Bill Szymczyk
6. AC/DC, Highway to Hell, 1979, Hard Rock, 41:42, Albert, Atlantic, Robert John “Mutt” Lange
5. Lynyrd Skynyrd, (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd), 1973, Southern Rock, 43:03, MCA, Al Kooper
4. Eagles, Desperado, 1973, Country Rock, 35:30, Asylum, Glyn Johns
3. Van Halen, Van Halen, 1978, Hard Rock, 35:34, Warner Bros., Ted Templeman
2. Metallica, Master of Puppets, 1986, Heavy Metal, 54:46, Elektra, Metallica and Flemming Rasmussen
1. Metallica, Ride the Lightning, 1984, Heavy Metal, 47:23, Megaforce, Metallica and Flemming Rasmussen